Friday, March 22, 2013

UPDATE ON KITCHEN REMODEL

I HAVE MADE SOME PROGRESS, albeit quite demanding.  I have completed the cabinet box to extend the counter top, now that the dishwasher has been installed.  This pic shows the new washer, not actually installed at the time but just in place to confirm measurements for the construction of the cabinet.

It is actually more difficult to construct a box to match existing carpentry than to do it all of a piece from scratch, as it were.  I had to revive some skills not used for many years.

While I was busy with that work, Daniel came by and installed the dishwasher, as well renewing the 40 yer old plumbing and fitting a new faucet setup for the sink.  I had 14 1/2 inches for the new box.  I decided to retain the laminex top and to extend this over the cabinet box, using old material from the peninsular top.  The entire cabinet was constructed from these material.  Excellent recycling!

 Amazingly I got it almost exactly matching in height.  I am using an acrylic filler called SeamFil, to join everything up and make a smooth surface.
 As you can see, I have decided to go with the color on three of the walls making up the kitchen/dining/living area.  This is called 'Cloud Burst' and is a blue-gray hue to match the sky so often see hereabouts.

The rest of the cabinet doors and drawers will be done with this color since I like it so much. The framing will remain a wood stained hue but lightened.

Still asking the house to tell me how the rest of the room will be painted.  The Crushed Orange that you can see on the plinth and the door trim will find a place somewhere in this new scheme.

Now that I have a dishwasher that works, I suppose I will have to buy some crockery and cutlery to put in it from time to time.  Image, more than one spoon, two forks, four knives and five plates!

Working on how to do the floor.  Should have this more in shape over the next week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment